Missions & Outreach News Feb 15
John Gillespie is working this week in Honduras (returning Saturday the 18th), and he reports
The primary purpose for my trip is to help find and develop a long term partner for an elementary school (kindergarten through 6th grade) in an impoverished area of San Pedro Sula. The school was built in 2015 by a group of volunteers from the Downingtown and Wilkes Barre, PA areas. Its building was funded in part by a first fruit tithe from the Church of the Good Samaritan. On February 1, 2017 the school commenced its second full academic year with classes for kindergarten, first and second grade students. The plan is to add another grade of 25 students each year, bringing it eventually to 175 students. Funding for the next several years looks reasonably secure, but long term the school needs to be part of a local educational organization.
- John requests prayers that his group can find the best way to set this school up with permanent funding.
Our support to Cityteam focuses on the organization’s work in nearby Chester. Cityteam continued important work over the past few months, including the successful delivery of more than 500 turkeys and Thanksgiving meals to families in the Chester area. As soon as Thanksgiving was over they began the many hours and days of work involved in gathering donations of toys, bicycles, and food, and mobilizing volunteers for the massive undertaking of distributing Christmas meals to 900 families and Christmas gifts to 2,500 children. In spite of a snowstorm on the day of distribution, Cityteam's passionate and devoted staff and volunteers completed the job.
Cityteam has continued to see God's amazing provision through the many local churches, schools, businesses and individuals who generously donate time, money and resources to allow Cityteam to continue meeting the needs of their community. One poignant recent example involved specific provision that allowed Cityteam to renovate the bathrooms and showers for their shelter, to further their vision of serving their guests with dignity and respect. The finished product is beautiful and a visual reminder of God's continued care for Cityteam and those they serve.
Anyone interested in volunteering at Cityteam can check out opportunities at: http://cityteamchester.cityteam.volunteerhub.com/events/indexv1
If interested in sponsoring or donating an item to Cityteam's annual Angel Event silent auction and luncheon, contact Nancy: email@example.com
Cityteam would appreciate prayers:
- Pray for the ongoing renovations taking place at Cityteam.
- Pray for the upcoming silent auction.
- Pray for strength, protection and encouragement for Cityteam staff.
- Pray for protection and provision for the individuals and families Cityteam serves, and that they would know God's love.
Cave Bird Coffee / Cave Bird Cup of Life
Cave Bird coffee is the ministry of Glen Shorley. Using proceeds from coffee sales, Glen (through the non-profit Cave Bird Cup of Life) provides wells for clean water, with most resources provided in Uganda. One hundred percent of profits from coffee sales go to provide these wells. (Most of the coffee we serve at church is Cave Bird coffee!) You can read more about Cave Bird at: http://www.cavebirdcoffee.com/
Glen would appreciate prayers:
- Pray for the coffee farms and workers, that God would bless them in their endeavors, and that they will continue to grow in the Lord.
- Pray that Cave Bird efforts can continue to expand our impact of clean water wells and sustainable farming.
Chris Hall reports that
Renovaré is entering a time of blessing as the Lord continues to open doors of ministry to us.
You can read more about Renovaré and its activities (and ways to donate) on their website at: https://renovare.org/
Specific prayer requests:
- Pray for Renovaré personnel to have the wisdom and discernment to know what their 'yeses' and 'nos' should be.
- Pray for upcoming events at Westmont College in Montecito, California, a Renovaré conference for a consortium of churches in Newberg, Oregon, a Renovaré retreat at the Gilmont Retreat Center in Gilmont, Texas, and for a week-long retreat in early March for the Boston cohort of the Renovaré Institute.