Christmas @ La Trinidad
The Church of the Good Samaritan has had a long relationship with the Anglican La Trinidad Church in Cochabamba, Bolivia and its pastor Rev. Tammy Firestone and husband Rusty. We provide not only financial support through SAMS, a missionary support organization, but also through several visits to Cochabamba and Tammy to Good Samaritan, as well as ongoing prayer support. They especially appreciate knowing that we pray for them: “We are thankful to the Lord for Good Samaritan’s prayers, encouragement, and financial support to our ministry in Bolivia as SAMS missionaries,” Tammy writes, as she usually does, in a recent report to our church. Early this month, she sent a report to our long-time advocate for Tammy and the church, Larry Colletta.
In that report, Tammy gives thanks for the progress of their church plant in Sacaba, and the work of that church’s Deacon Juan Cris and his wife Jahel. This church has grown in discipleship and service to their community. When Tammy visited us a year ago, we were so pleased about how a church we support, La Trinidad, was reaching out to serve their surrounding area, even to initiate and support a church plant in Sacaba. La Trinidad and this new church are working on many projects together for education, service, and for a community outreach activity in a Cochabamba park. They call this outreach program “Messy Church,” as it worships and celebrates in the middle of the community.
In December, Bishop Raphael Samuel (who we also support through the Bolivian Diocese) visited La Trinidad and they celebrated six confirmations between their church and the church plant. La Trinidad also had a wonderful Christmas Club with 49 kids from neighborhood families and two children’s homes. A team of 16 from the church led daily Bible stories, games, crafts, as well baking and Christmas carols.
Tammy and Rusty’s son, Thomas, is beginning the second semester of his sophomore year at Azusa Pacific University. Tammy and daughter Maddy are traveling late this month to the U.S. to visit universities and Tammy’s mother. As always, they send along several prayer requests and are encouraged that Good Samaritans are praying with and for them.
Specifically, they request our prayers for:
- Thanking God for pouring out Kingdom joy and love during the Advent and Christmas seasons,
- Thanks for the six confirmations by Bishop Samuel, the success of their “Christmas Club”, the “Messy Church” celebration, and the Sacaba Church’s week-long Christmas workshop led by Deacon Juan Cris and his wife Jahel.
As the new year begins, they ask us to join their family in prayer for:
- Wisdom and strength for son Thomas as he begins the second semester of his sophomore year at Azusa Pacific University,
- Safe travel and good experiences for Tammy and daughter Maddy as they travel to the US. to visit universities, then in late January as they visit Tammy’s mom; and finally for Rusty in their absence.
They also ask us to join them in prayer at La Trinidad this month for:
- Their Vestry retreat January 19, as they pray together and plan 2019,
- Deacon Natali as she disciples teens and youth during these last weeks of Bolivian summer vacation,
- Deacon Juan Cris as he disciples youth and families in the Sacaba church plant,
- Pastor Tammy as she mentors and disciples the leadership team in Cochabamba,
- A renewed commitment to prayer in their congregation and to their work of mission,
- All of them to faithfully follow God’s lead and trust in His faithfulness and provision in ministry for the year,
- That God will continue to strengthen our partnership in the Gospel with brothers and sisters at Good Samaritan.