Dear Parents –
We are learning about Jacob and Joseph in Sunday School, following along with the sermon series just like you!
We want to encourage families to connect with one another at home as we study God’s word. That’s why we’ve put together this letter – to give you a few ideas about what conversations you might have with your children.
Attached is one Bible story resource or you can use any you prefer depending on your children’s ages!
- Re-read the lesson together.
- Ask the children what they thought of it. Wonder with them about any aspects they bring up.
- Use the questions we suggest each week if they are helpful.
- If your children ask challenging questions, don’t be afraid to say, “I don’t know, but I can try to find out.”
- Close with prayer.
Our hope is that we can learn and grow alongside each other as we listen to God’s word.
WEEK 1: Genesis 25:19-24 Jacob and Esau
- Was there ever a time when you were hungry?
- What is your birth order? Are there different responsibilities for each of you?
- Have you ever made a poor choice?
- Share a time when things were messy and God was present.
WEEK 2: Genesis 28:10-22 God’s Promise to Jacob
- Is there a recent dream you remember?
- What is a promise? Have you ever made one?
- What are some of God’s promises?
- How can we remember God’s promises when we are afraid?
WEEK 3: Genesis 29, 31 Jacob Gets Married and Flees
- What was your favorite vacation?
- If you could go anywhere, where would it be?
- How do we know God is with us wherever we are?
- How can we remember God is always with us?
WEEK 4: Genesis 32, 33 Jacob Goes Home
- Have you ever had an argument with a friend?
- What does forgiveness mean?
- Have you ever made up with someone after being angry with them?
- What does it look like to bring God into our conflicts?
WEEK 5: Genesis 35 God Blesses Jacob
- What does it mean to bless someone?
- Has God blessed you?
- When things are hard is God with us? What is hard for you now?
- Is there a place where you have done something you wish you hadn’t or that you are sad where you’d like to invite God in?
WEEK 6: Genesis 37 Joseph Dreams
- What are some things that went wrong in Joseph’s story this week?
- Did you ever make a plan that didn’t work?
- Do you believe God has plans for you and your life?
- Is there something hard in your life now where you don’t see God at work? How can you remember to trust that God sees you?
WEEK 7: Genesis 39
- Is it always easy to know what is right and wrong?
- Was it easy for Joseph to do what was right?
- When did you do what was right even though it was hard?
- When we get it wrong is God still there?
- How can we let God help us do what is right?
WEEK 8: Genesis 41
- What was Joseph’s talent or gift?
- What is your talent or gift?
- Can we use our gifts or talents for wrong?
- How do we trust God with our gifts or talents?
- Do you believe God has a special plan for your life?